People of Africa
- The African continent has the second largest population in the world, at about one billion people.
- Well over one thousand languages are spoken by the people of Africa. Some estimates put this number closer to two thousand.
- The largest religion in Africa is Islam, followed by Christianity.
- The African population is approximately 14.72% of the world's population (as of 2009).
- The oldest human remains ever discovered were found in Ethiopia. They are approximately 200,000 years old.
- The longest river in the world, the Nile (4,132 miles), is located in Africa.
- Africa has the world's largest desert, the Sahara, which is almost the size of the United States.
- Victoria Falls is the largest waterfall in Africa; it is 355 feet high and one mile wide.
- Mount Kilimanjaro is the highest mountain on the continent. It towers over 19,300 feet, which is so tall that glaciers can be found at its summit even though the mountain is near the equator.
- Madagascar is the fourth largest island in the world. It is in the Indian Ocean off the East coast of Africa.
- Africa is the second largest continent on earth, approximately 11.7 million square miles.
- Africa straddles the equator and is the only continent to extend from the northern temperate zone to the southern temperate zone.
- Africa is the hottest continent on earth.
- Sudan is Africa's largest country (968,000 square miles).
- Africa covers 6 percent of the earth's total surface and 20.4 percent of the total land area.
- Cairo is the continents largest city.
- Long before humans were around (the early Mesozoic Era) Africa was joined to the other continents in a massive continent called Pangaea. Over millions of years this huge continent broke apart shaping the world landscape as we know it today.
- The worlds largest land animal is the African elephant.
- The worlds tallest animal, the giraffe, lives in Africa.
- The fastest land animal in the world, the cheetah, lives in Africa.
- Africa is home to the worlds largest reptile, the Nile crocodile.
- The gorilla, which can be found in the continents jungles, is the worlds largest primate.